We—Mark F. of @Mythic Picnic, Susan O’Neill and Mark Budman of Vestal Review— are putting together an anthology of flash fiction (stories under 1000 words) tentatively titled “Short, Vigorous Roots: An Anthology of Immigrant Fiction in the Age of Dissent.”
Our deadline was December 31, 2019. We are no longer taking submissions.
General Submission Guidelines:
1) The writer must be either an immigrant/migrant or a child of an immigrant/migrant;
2) Stories must be FICTION (or, if drawn on the writer’s experience, FICTIONALIZED);
3) Stories may not exceed 1000 words, not counting the title;
4) Any fiction genre is acceptable, except for children’s literature, porn, denigrating and hateful fare, and bad writing. Edgy is good; R-rated (but not X) is acceptable; sad is okay; magic realism is nifty; humor is amazing. A PLOT is essential!
5) To see the quality of stories we publish, check us out on line at www.vestalreview.org; we don’t want you to imitate our Flash, but feel free to be inspired by it;
6) We accept reprints;
7) We will be asking for one-time rights for the original stories; once the book is out, the story’s ownership reverts to you;
One submission per author.
Please begin your cover letter with a statement like that:
“I am a [first or second] generation immigrant to [the name of your new country].”
Without such statement your entry will be disqualified. Sorry.
We don’t care where you came from, or where you now live; just that the two aren’t the same. What we do care about—passionately—is the quality of your fiction, and the plot and length of your stories. Your stories should be about immigration, but the theme can be interpreted broadly. Writers will receive a modest honorarium payment, and a print edition of the finished book if they live in the US, or an electronic edition if they live on more far-flung soil.